Unscrupulous garage door companies work with unqualified subcontractors or hire technicians without the proper knowledge, skills and equipment. If you have had an experience with one of these unprofessional companies, then you may find it difficult to trust any garage door business.
You should know that there are good garage door businesses. You can find them if you know what to look for. Here are some tips for eliminating poor companies and finding the right garage door firm to meet your needs in a trustworthy and professional way.
Watch out for these tricks
- Low‑quality garage companies usually work in urban areas. They know that there are many options, and they hope that customers will not know the difference between companies or will think that all companies are basically the same.
- You will see large ads online and in print. These ads are designed to make the company seem successful and large, even though they are not.
- Some companies may actually operate under two or more names. This will trick people who have had a bad experience with one company into hiring the same (but differently named) company again.
- Poor quality companies may work in more than one city. However, they usually just have subcontractors, who they may not even know, to do the work in other places.
- Some companies will advertise "emergency service." They will hope that you will be in a hurry to fix your door and you will not do research on them.
Other things that non‑professional garage door companies do
- They promise "emergency service" or "24‑hour repairs." They may really offer this, but they will likely charge more for after‑hours calls.
- The technicians may not be prepared. You will be able to tell this if they leave the site to get tools or parts. This is usually a sign that they did not get the correct details about your project, or they lack experience to prepare for repairs.
- They may offer discounts that seem too good to be true or, worse, they have "flash sales" that require you to act quickly. These are both meant to get you to hire them without researching them first.
- Companies that rely on subcontractors will not have branded vehicles, even if their advertisements feature pictures of trucks with the company logo on them.
- Garage door companies should always have a physical address. If they only advertise a phone number, they are probably not legitimate.
Do your research
- Good garage door businesses will have a list of past clients. You may even be able to request to talk to these customers to hear about their experiences firsthand.
- You can also rely on advice from friends or neighbors who have worked with the company in the past.
- If you are able, go to see the company’s physical office or warehouse. Or, at least look up the address on Google Street View to see if it is really a legitimate business.
- Quality businesses will offer several pricing options even before you request them.
How we can help:
Always do your research. You can find out about our company by contacting us at (515) 276‑3700. You can visit our address and look at reviews from our past customers. Once you are satisfied with this information, you can ask for a detailed quotation, which we can provide via email.