You’ve no doubt seen them in magazines and on the internet – they come in many different styles and sizes – and sure, they look interesting, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a garage door with pedestrian walk-through installed?
- Energy savings You’ll often find pedestrian doors on commercial and industrial doors. This is because they are more energy efficient, after all, you lose less heat by opening a small access door than by raising a 16 x 16-foot door.
- Pedestrian walk-though doors are practical if you have a basement garage and installing a regular access door is impossible.
- They are also a practical alternative to regular access doors if you live in a neighbourhood where the building density is high and there isn’t enough available side space for a regular door.
- While a power cut would stop you from being able to access your garage through your electric garage door, you will be able to enter through this alternative entry point.
- The pedestrian door itself and the safety system that must be installed to avoid any damage to the garage door can be very costly. Sometimes, adding a walk-through door to a single garage door is just as expensive as installing a full garage door system.
- If you use an electric garage door opener system and the walk-through door isn’t fully closed, your opening system would still open your garage door, potentially causing a lot of damage, unless you have invested in a device to prevent this from happening (more cost).
- Your garage door might not be compatible. Walk-through doors must be installed on garage doors that are at least 8-feet wide. We strongly recommend using garage doors that are insulated with polyurethane and at least 1 3/8 to 2-inches thick.
- Although we listed energy savings in the pros, on smaller garages walk-through doors actually reduce energy efficiency.
If you’ve decided a walk-through door is for you…
Contact us at 515-276-3700. We’re garage door experts and can provide you with the support and advice you need to make the right choice for your garage. We’re happy to send detailed quotations, just ask!
If you want to view our range in person, visit our showroom. Our staff will be thrilled to show you around! You can also send us a request for an online quotation.